Work Smarter This Summer
Posted June 2018
By Peggy Blaze
It’s finally summer. InfoComm is behind us, and frankly, I’m exhausted. I need a vacation. Are you with me?
A lot of people are, including small business expert and business coach Cathy Goddard, who recommends combatting summertime workplace fatigue with some easily achievable tips that will help you stay productive while still enjoying the summer.
- Set attainable goals each day. After racing to the big finish of InfoComm, it’s easy to lose sight of the goals mindfully set back in January. It’s hot out, and there’s so much going on in the summer. Goddard recommends going easy on yourself while at work. By setting viable daily goals and keeping your calendar at a manageable pace, you won’t lose valuable ground and momentum you had going into the show.
- Switch up your work routine. Consider starting your day earlier so you can leave the office early and have time to soak in the afternoon sun — or in my case, play tennis.
- Turn off electronic distractions and work offline. Undoubtedly this will be hard, but turning off your phone and unplugging from the internet is a good way to give projects your undivided attention and complete them faster.
- Stay healthy. Eat healthy foods and drink lots of water. Did you know that even mild dehydration can affect moods, the ability to concentrate, and lead to headaches?
- Enjoy the outdoors. Go for a walk or meet friends for lunch. The change of scenery will invigorate and motivate you to tackle your work.
- Go on vacation. Taking well-earned time off is one of the best ways to recharge your battery and not feel like the summertime fun is passing you by! And don’t forget to pack sunscreen!